Many PS4 gamers reported that the unbearable PS4 shuts down by random issue and they can’t turn on their game console. According to users, every time they press the power button, the PS4 turns itself off by turning on a light.
When the problem occurs, the PS4 console freezes with a blue flash and randomly shuts down. This is really frustrating as you can lose the game.
However, many users managed to fix the PS4 random shutdown issue by setting the PS4 time by going to settings > Power saving settings > Set time until PS4 shuts down.
See if this helps you to fix PS4 keeps turning off and won’t turn on issue, but if not then here we have listed the possible solutions that worked for many affected users to resolve the issue in your case.
But before we head to the solutions, let’s take a look at the common culprits responsible for the problem.
Why does PS4 randomly turn off by itself?
The main reason why PS4 turns itself off is overheating issue . If you continuously use PlayStation 4 for hours, it will automatically overheat and shut down. but there are also other culprits below, take a look at the most common ones:
- Power connection issue – If the power cord or power supply is not working properly, this can cause PS4 shutdown issue.
- System Software Corruption – Sometimes corrupted or outdated system software can cause problems with PlayStation 4 and cause various errors on startup.
- Hard Drive Corruption – Important PS4 system as well as game files are stored on a hard drive, but if it gets corrupted or out of date, the PS4 is more likely to turn off by itself and not turn on .
Since you know the common culprits causing the problem, follow the step-by-step instructions to solve the problem in no time.
How do I fix the problem “Ps4 turns off by itself” randomly?
Solution 1 – Reconnect your power cord
If your PS4 randomly shuts down while playing, you can try reconnecting the power cable. This will restart the PlayStation 4, resolve the corruption issue, if any, and start normally.
Here are the steps to reconnect the power cable:
- Unplug all power cables from the PS4
- Wait a minimum of 30 seconds
- Plug in the power cord and press the power button
Now, see if the PlayStation4 turns it on and you still see the problem.
Solution 2: Solve power problems
Another cause of PS4 turning off by itself is due to insufficient power supply or power management issue. Multiple appliances plugged into the same outlet where the PlayStation 4 is plugged in can interrupt the power requirement.
So make sure you plug your PlayStation 4 into a different or unique outlet .
Inconsistent power supply or sudden power outage can disrupt PlayStation4 power cycle and that can lead to various issues and errors. Also, it is suggested to check the problems with the power cable and ports by following the given steps:
- Press the PS4 power button for at least 7 seconds until the PS4 console turns off completely.
- After that, unplug all the power cables connected to your console through the power outlet and then leave it like that for a few seconds.
- Check if the power port is blocking , you can use another power cable to check if it is damaged or causing the problem.
- Then reconnect your power cable and then try turning on the PS4 console again and see if the issue is resolved.
Hope this works for you to resolve the issue, but if PS4 still randomly shuts down, then move on to the next solution.
Solution 3 – Prevent your console from overheating
As already said, overheating of the console can possibly cause the problem, so follow the tips to prevent PS4 console from overheating.
- Avoid using PS4 for many hours
- Put your console in the ventilated room
- Clean your PS4 at regular intervals to prevent dirt build-up that can lead to overheating
- Cool down your console by placing it under an air conditioner or fan.
Solution 4 – Try inserting a disc into PS4
Sometimes inserting a disc into PlayStation 4 can also turn it on. When you insert a disc, the console will detect it and start working on its own.
Follow the steps to perform this solution:
- Plug the power cord into PlayStation4.
- Insert the disc into the disc drive on PS4.
NOTE : Do not insert the disc all at once, insert it slowly and see if it turns on your console on its own or not.
- Then take out the disk
If it works to fix the problem, the PlayStation 4 will return to normal and you can start your game again.
Solution 5 – Check for hard drive corruption
Hard drive corruption can cause PS4 to randomly shut down and not turn on problem. So please check if your hard drive is seated correctly. Also, check bad sectors and fix hard drive errors in Windows system
Follow the steps to check the location of the hard drive
- Press the power button to completely turn off PlayStation4
- And disconnect all the cables from your console and remove the hard drive cover
- Check for problems with the hard drive and confirm that it is seated correctly.
Solution 6 – Try to rebuild the PS4 database
PS4 has a built-in feature that allows players to rebuild their PS4 database. This can help you clean PlayStation4 data and other things on your hard drive.
Follow the steps to rebuild PlayStation 4 database and see if it helps resolve PS4 auto-shutdown issue.
- Connect the PS4 controller with the USB cable to the console
- Press the power button on the PS4 console until a second beep sounds. Then release the button.
- PS4 will go into safe mode and its screen will show some options
- Choose the Rebuild Database option
Now, wait a couple of minutes for the process to complete. After the rebuilding process is finished, check if PS4 turns off by itself and won’t turn on , the problem is fixed or not.
Solution 7 – Update the system in safe mode
A bad update can be the reason why PlayStation keeps shutting down . To resolve this issue, you need to update your PS4 in safe mode.
Here are the steps to do it:
- First of all, you need a USB stick with 400 MB of space
- Create a folder called PS4 and then inside this folder create a folder called update
- Now, download the current PS4 update and move it to the new folder called Update
- Completely turn off your PlayStation4, connect your PS4 with the USB stick
- Press the power button for 7 seconds to start your console in safe mode.
- When the console enters safe mode, select the Update system software option, and then follow the instructions to continue the process.
And as it is updated, please try to turn it on and start a game to check if the PS4 turns off when game loading problem is solved or not.
Solution 8 – Check multiple connectors
Multiple connectors allow gamers to connect their PS4 with the other modules that require an HDMI port . If any activity is performed on those modules when you use PlayStation4, it is likely that the PS4 will turn itself off .
To resolve this issue, you can try plugging in your PlayStation4 directly instead of using the connectors and check if that fixes the problem. In case you have connected the USB cable to the front port, remove it.
Sometimes due to weak internet connection on PS4, any activity done from the USB port can also turn off the PlayStation4, so please consider removing it.
Solution 9 – Check for hardware issues
If the workarounds mentioned above did not help you resolve PS4 keeps turning off and won’t turn on , then check the PlayStation4 for hardware issues.
There could be several possibilities including a faulty power supply unit or the PS4 overheating. If your PlayStation4 is overheating due to faulty joints in your system, then it can cause a thermal switch to trip on and off.
Therefore, it is recommended not to try to check the hardware yourself for problems as it may damage your console if you are not aware about it. In that case, get the best PS4 emulators and play the game with ease.
So. this is all about ps4 randomly shuts down problem.
Do the solutions one after another and see which one suits you to fix the problem without any problem. Make sure to carefully follow the step-by-step instructions and fix the error.
I hope this article has resolved your query.