One of the main enemies of carpets is wine . If you usually take it regularly and you have carpets at home , it is important that you be very careful, because these stains are terrible and very complicated to remove.
Of course, nothing is impossible! In the following guide we tell you step by step how to clean wine stains from a carpet :
Clean red wine stains from a carpet
Red wine is one of the great feared for the stains it leaves. Not only in carpets, but also in clothes and in all kinds of fibers. Therefore, at the slightest contact of the wine with the carpet, you must act as soon as possible .
What is needed to remove these stains?
If you spill red wine on the carpet, you will need to have the following at home to be able to act immediately: kitchen paper, sparkling water, a sponge, a foam to clean carpets and a vacuum cleaner .
These are the steps to follow:
- Use kitchen paper on the stain to absorb the red wine – dab from the outside to the inside, to prevent them from spreading.
- Add a little sparkling water (if you don’t have hydrogen peroxide, you can use it) – you’ll see that it bubbles out.
- Use a sponge (without rubbing) to remove the liquid / the bubbles that it expels.
- Pour the foam for carpets on the stain (shake the bottle before proceeding) – use the sponge carefully to spread it well
- Wait for it to dry – open the windows and ventilate it so that it dries before. If you’re in a hurry, you can use a hair dryer, but don’t hold it too close.
- Pass the vacuum cleaner .
Are the red wine stains still on the carpet? It is very difficult that, having carried out the entire process, a stain is still resistant. However, if very little has been missing or a more stubborn stain has remained, it is best to repeat the entire process step by step but from point 4, adding more cleansing foam again .
Other products that work to clean wine stains
In the event that you do not have sparkling or hydrogen peroxide at home , do not worry because there are alternative solutions that you can easily create with ingredients that we all have:
- Vinegar and dishwashing liquid : If you have some vinegar and dishwashing liquid at home, you can make this mixture. Take 15 grams of each and 2 cups of hot water. Mix everything and apply it on the stain. To finish, pass a cotton cloth with cold water.
- Baking soda : Another of the great allies to remove difficult stains is baking soda. If you have some at home, you can try this trick. After blotting the stain and pouring in some cold water, make a paste by mixing one part baking soda with three parts water. Let it dry and then vacuum.
Do not use salt under any circumstances
Although there are those who say that you can remove wine stains from the carpet using salt , the truth is that it is a risky method, since the stain could be more fixed and remain there forever, in addition to the possibility of damaging the fibers of the carpet. . Do not use it, better use other methods like all the ones we have mentioned.
How to remove rose wine stains from carpet
It can also happen that you spill a little rosé wine on the carpet. In that case, the steps to follow are similar to those for red wine. The first thing is to try to dry the stain as much as you can, with kitchen paper or napkins .
Then, you can create a mixture with sparkling water and after applying it, opt for a cleansing foam. You will almost certainly get very good results. You can also use hydrogen peroxide or baking soda.
What if the stain is white wine?
You may be surprised to learn that a combination of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and white wine helps remove red wine stains from carpet. So, if you spill a little white wine, you can rest assured that the carpet will not stain. What does not remove that there is some bad smell. In that case, we recommend this article on how to remove bad odors from carpets .
If you want to know more, visit this other article on how to remove a stain from the carpet , with all the tips you should follow to achieve it successfully.