If you’re working on a document that’s important to you, you probably want it to look its best so the person who’s going to see it and read it later isn’t distracted by moments of unpleasant formatting. If you find an extra page somewhere in your document, you’ll probably want to delete it.
Google Docs offers several ways to remove an extra blank page, depending on why it’s there. In this article, we are going to tell you some tips on how to do it using Google Docs in any browser on Mac or PC.
How to delete a blank page in Google Docs by pressing Delete
If you’ve tried deleting a blank page by pressing the backspace key and it didn’t work, you’ll likely be taken back to the previous page. Both Google Docs and MS Word work like this. However, you probably haven’t tried hitting the Delete button. In this case, the Delete button will quickly remove any blank pages or unwanted white space.
Therefore, if you want to remove an empty page from your document by pressing the “Remove” button, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, place the mouse pointer in front of the blank page and press the “Delete” button ;
- If the above action doesn’t work, try highlighting a blank page and hit the “Delete” button again .
In most cases, the above solution helps, so you should always use this method first before looking at other options. However, sometimes a blank page is left.
How to remove a blank page in Google Docs by checking custom spacing
If Google Docs automatically inserts a space after a paragraph, this can cause a new page to appear at the end of the document. If you want to check if custom spacing is the culprit, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, go to the “Format” section of the toolbar and select “Line Spacing ”;
- A menu will appear. Click on “Custom Spaces “;
- Lastly, try changing the value after the paragraph to zero .
How to remove a blank page in Google Docs by adjusting page breaks
Page breaks don’t happen very often. Of course, you may not remember going to “Insert” and adding a page break, but that’s not the only reason it happens.
To insert a page break, we use the key combination «Ctrl + Enter». If your little finger (or any other finger) goes over the “Ctrl” key, you can accidentally insert a page break. In either case, you can quickly remove a new page break, but you won’t be able to delete it or use backspace if it’s in the middle of the text.
How to remove a blank page in Google Docs by changing the margins
If the margin preferences are too large, Google Docs may insert a space at the bottom, but ends up adding a blank page. If you want to check if the unwanted page is the result of large margins, you have to follow these steps:
- First of all, navigate to the “File” section ;
- In the dropdown menu, select “Page Setup ”;
- In the “Page Setup” box , adjust the margins by making them smaller.
How to delete a blank page in Google Docs on an Android device
If you use Google Docs on your Android device, you can easily follow almost the same steps mentioned above to remove a blank page from your document. For it:
- Open the Google Docs app ;
- Next, open the document with the blank page you want to delete and press the “Edit” icon ( pencil icon );
- Next , tap on the “three dots” icon and select “Print Style” .
Once you have completed these steps, the blank pages will be removed.
How to delete a blank page in Google Docs on a Chromebook
If you want to remove a blank page in Google Docs on your Chromebook, you have to follow these steps:
- Open the Google Docs app ;
- Highlight the page or blank space you want to remove and press “Backspace” or “Delete” .
If the blank page is at the end of the document, hover your mouse over the page until the “Delete” option appears , and click on it.
Once you have completed these steps, the blank pages will be removed from your document.