Find out how to remove scratches on stainless steel with these simple tricks!
Stainless steel cookware, appliances, and other surfaces are becoming more common in kitchens today. Stainless steel is a material that is very pleasing to the eye due to its shine. However, it is a scratch-prone material, and therefore requires special cleaning. In this article we give you the best tips on how to remove scratches from stainless steel, how to remove scratches from stainless steel and how to repair scratched stainless steel.
Treat your stainless steel surfaces gently to remove scratches. Use Cif Cream at the end of the process to polish your stainless steel surfaces and make them look like new.
How to remove scratches from stainless steel
Scratches and marks on stainless steel are not impossible to remove. It is important to consider what type of scratch the stainless steel surface has in order to choose an appropriate treatment. If the scratches are superficial, they can usually be easily removed by rubbing with a cloth soaked in vegetable oil. Otherwise, if the appliance or the stainless steel surface has a deep scratch, another type of precaution must be taken and the treatment will be different: you will have to sand with a material that is not very abrasive to remove the scratch without damaging the material too much.
How to Remove Scratches on Stainless Steel: Light to Medium Scratches
As we mentioned before, there are different procedures to remove scratches from stainless steel that are superficial:
- Vegetable oil is a very good solution if you need to know how to remove scratches from stainless steel.You just need to put vegetable oil on the scratch and rub with a dry cloth, spreading the oil. This will help hide any scratches in the stainless steel. Then pat the area dry with a paper towel.
- You can sand the stainless steel surfaceWith a non-abrasive sponge, gently, to remove scratches.
- Mix a little ashes (paper or cigarette) with oil in a container to form a paste.Then place the paste on the scratch with the help of a brush. Let it act for about 10 minutes and then remove the mixture with a cotton pad. You will see that the scratches are no longer visible.
- Use Cif CreamPlace Cif Cream on the area of the scratch, with a soft cloth, covering the area completely. I buffed the area with a flannel and, if necessary, repeated this process several times until the scratches are no longer noticeable.
- If you want to know how to remove scratches from stainless steel that are not so superficial, a good method is to use whitening toothpaste.Put the whitening toothpaste on an unused toothbrush. Apply the paste on the scratch. Wipe with a damp cloth to remove toothpaste. I repeated the process until the scratch was completely covered.
- After treating the scratch with one of the above methods, apply a little olive oil to the area with a soft cloth.Olive oil serves as an insulator and softener of the affected area.
How to Repair Scratched Stainless Steel: Deep Scratches
Now that you know how to remove scratches from stainless steel, we are going to tell you how to remove deeper scratches from stainless steel. If none of the above methods work for you, that means your steel surface has a deep scratch. In these cases, the most convenient way to repair scratched stainless steel is with the help of wet sandpaper. I followed these steps:
- Wet the surface of the scratch with a cloth or sponge with water.
- Take some sandpaper and wet it with water.
- Pass the wet sandpaper on the stainless steel surface, in the area of the scratch, without pressing too much. Keep the surface and sandpaper wet throughout the process.
- Once you’re done, wipe down the area with a clean, damp rag.
- Finally dry the area with a microfiber cloth.
- Apply Cif Cream to finish polishing the surface and make it shiny.
Now you know how to remove scratches on stainless steel. Remember: it doesn’t matter if your steel surfaces have superficial or deep scratches, you can always use Cif Cream to polish them and give them the best finish.