During the last two years, I have had more than one problem with the brightness of my laptop screen, and it has always been of the same type: the brightness was reduced to the minimum and I could not adjust it in any way, neither through the options of Windows 10 , nor with the keyboard shortcuts. It goes without saying that using a laptop with the brightness set to the minimum is not recommended, since eye fatigue occurs almost instantly.
Normally, when this problem occurs, we are faced with a conflict at the driver level that is not usually difficult to resolve. The first thing we should try, if we cannot change the screen brightness through any of the operating system options, is to update the drivers of our graphics solution, whether dedicated or integrated. It is very easy to do:
- We go to the official website of the manufacturer of our graphics solution, download the latest drivers available, making sure that they are suitable for our GPU, and proceed to install them.
- We can also use, directly, the automatic update of Windows 10, although it is not recommended. To do this, we right click on the start menu icon, enter the “Device Manager”, open “Display Adapters”, right click on the name of our graphical solution and choose “Update Driver”.
Another possible solution is to temporarily disable and enable the display adapter . It is very easy, we only have to repeat the steps we have taken in the previous point, only instead of choosing the option to update the driver we are going to “disable device”. We let the process finish, and then we repeat the steps but choosing the “enable device” option.
If none of this has worked and you continue to have problems with screen brightness, there is still a third alternative that we can implement from the device manager. We go to «Monitors» , we double click and follow these two steps:
- Right click on the icon that appears after displaying the “Monitors” tab (usually “generic monitor …”), and repeat the process of disabling and re-enabling the device.
- If the above does not work, we right click, choose “update driver”. If we already have the best possible driver, we can try the “Browse my computer for drivers” and “Choose from a list” option. Once there, we must select the option “Generic PnP Monitor”.
What if none of this works? We give you another solution to the problem of the brightness of the screen of your laptop
A few days ago I had the misfortune to suffer, in a Lenovo IdeaPad Z500T , a serious problem with the brightness of the screen. This was reduced to the minimum and he could not raise it. None of the solutions I have given you worked , and in fact I got to reinstall the operating system (Windows 10). After doing all that, and spending more than half an hour in front of the laptop, it occurred to me to check if the brightness was still low when entering the BIOS .
Once inside the BIOS I checked with amazement that yes, the brightness did not change, but it occurred to me to try to regulate it with the keyboard shortcuts , and I was very happy when I saw that it worked. I know that many users who have been affected by this problem have not worked the steps I have taken previously, and that is why I recommend that you try the solution that worked for me:
- You enter the BIOS of your laptop. You must press the corresponding key, or keys. In the case of my Lenovo, I had to press the function keys and F2 at the same time.
- Once inside, use the keyboard shortcuts to adjust the brightness of the screen to the level you want. Exit BIOS without touching anything and let the laptop load normally.